Workers can enter Canada on a temporary basis, usually with the support of a Canadian employer looking to fill a labour shortage, or on a permanent basis as a skilled worker through Express Entry. Jelena Urosevic can assist in assessing your situation to determine the best path, and work with you on your application.

Every year, the Canadian government issues hundreds of thousands of work permits to temporary foreign workers to help Canadian businesses meet their labour demands. For example, over 75,000 work permits are issued annually under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, which includes workers who require a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). In addition, over 250,000 work permits are issued annually under the International Mobility Program (IMP), which are exempt from an LMIA.

If you are a Canadian business, we can help you determine the available options for filling your labour shortages with foreign workers.

If you are a foreign national interested in working in Canada, we can help you understand the requirements and assist you in the application process.


LMIA-Based Work Permits

In most cases, a Canadian employer must receive a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), which is an authorization from the Canadian government to hire a foreign worker under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.

The Canadian employer will need to:

  • Advertise the job opening to demonstrate that there are no qualified Canadian citizens or permanent residents for the position.
  • Offer to pay the foreign worker a salary and benefits in accordance with federal and provincial standards.
  • Comply with Canadian government regulations after the employee begins working in Canada.

To find out if an LMIA and/or a work permit is required in your circumstances, please contact us and let us help you.

LMIA-Exempt Work Permit

Work permits exempt from the requirement to obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) advance Canada’s social, cultural and economic interests and competitive advantage. They are issued under the International Mobility Program (IMP).

Examples include:

  • International Agreements (CUSMA, GATS, Canada-Columbia FTA, Canada-Peru FTA)
  • Intra-company transferees
  • International exchange programs, including International Experience Canada
  • Significant benefit
  • Reciprocal employment
  • Television and film production worker
  • Emergency repair

Types of Work Permits

Generally, there are two types of work permits – closed and open.

Closed Work Permit: A closed work permit only allows you to work for the Canadian employer listed on your work permit at the specified job site.

If you decide to change your employer, you must apply to change your work permit or apply for a new work permit with the new employer.

Open Work Permit: An open work permit allows you to work for any employer, in any province or territory in Canada and does not restrict you to a particular position.

The following are types of open work permits:

  • Post-graduate work permit – international students graduating from an eligible Canadian designated learning institution can apply for an open work permit.
  • Bridging open work permit – Foreign workers legally working in Canada who applied for permanent residence under one of the Express Entry programs can apply for an open work permit and continue to work until a decision is made on their application for permanent residence.
  • Accompanying spouses – spouses or common-law partners of skilled workers, international students, and post-graduate work permit holders may apply for an open work permit if the principal applicant meets certain requirements.
  • Inland Spousal/Common-Law Partner Sponsorship – if you sponsor your spouse through the in-Canada spousal sponsorship program, your spouse may apply for an open work permit.

If you would like to apply for an open work permit or a closed work permit but are unsure what documents to include with your application or how to get started, let us help you.

Business Visitors

You are considered a Canadian business visitor if you are traveling to Canada to engage in business activities but will not be directly entering the labour market. If you are traveling to Canada to do business you may require a visitor visa. Urosevic Law can help with your application to visit Canada on business.

Urosevic Law is here for you. Contact us now.