Choosing the Best Solution For You

Canada is known for being one of the most inclusive and welcoming countries in the world. In 2019, we welcomed more than 300,000 new immigrants. Over 37.5 million people are proud to call Canada home. The application process for permanent residence can be a challenging experience, and the lawyers at RU Law are ready to work with you every step of the way.

Choosing the right Canadian immigration program for you will depend on your individual goals and situation. There are currently over 80 programs available for immigration to Canada, and the programs are constantly being updated. We can help you choose the best solution for you and your family. RU Law will assist with all types of permanent residence applications, provide guidance on required supporting documents and prepare you at each step of the process.

Permanent Residence

As a Canadian permanent resident, you will maintain your citizenship from your original home country. Being a permanent resident of Canada does not provide you Canadian citizenship. You may be eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship after residing in Canada for a few years. From applying for your permanent residence to obtaining your citizenship, RU Law can help you at each step of the process.

Express Entry

If you are considering immigrating to Canada and are a skilled worker, the Express Entry program may be your best route. The Immigration and Citizenship department of the Government of Canada uses an online system called Express Entry to manage applications from skilled workers looking to apply for permanent residence.

There are 3 economic immigration programs that you can apply under to be eligible for Express Entry. Each of the three programs require the applicant to be a skilled worker with the ability to contribute to Canada’s economy.

  1. Federal Skilled Worker Program
  2. Federal Skilled Trades Program
  3. Canadian Experience Class

To find out which of these Express Entry programs may be a fit for you, schedule a consultation with Rafeena or Jelena at RU Law. They can explain the program requirements, check your eligibility and assist with your application process.

How the Express Entry process works

Submitting your application for Express Entry may be your best option to becoming a Canadian permanent resident.

You should work with RU Law to ensure you submit the best application possible. We will walk you through the following four steps, and confirm that you meet the necessary criteria before proceeding.

  1. Eligibility: After you schedule a consultation with RU Law, we will ask you to complete our client assessment questionnaire. When we meet with you we will review the requirements of any programs you may be eligible for and recommend the most suitable option for you.
  2. Documentation: You will need language test results and your education credential assessment before you can create your Express Entry profile. RU Law will work with you to make sure you prepare all required documents in a timely fashion to support your application. Only applications with ALL required supporting documents will be processed.
  3. Profile: Your Express Entry profile will be scored out of 1,200. We will create your profile for you when you meet the eligibility requirements. A Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) is used to tally your profile points. After your profile is submitted, you will know your CRS score and which Express Entry programs you are eligible for. To get an idea of your potential ranking you can use the CRS calculator tool here.
  4. Invitation and Application: Only persons who meet the minimum CRS score for that particular round of invitations will be invited to submit their applications for permanent residence. With a limited time to complete your application, having Rafeena of Jelena provide advice at this time could make the difference between your application being approved or rejected. Application fees are non-refundable, so you’ll want to make sure the application is done correctly. Processing times can take as little as 6 months.

Provincial Nominee Programs

Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP) are economic immigration programs that allow participating provinces and territories to nominate candidates for immigration to Canada. Provinces and territories can select those individuals who have the skills, education and experience to contribute to the economic growth of that province or territory, and who wish to settle in that region.

There are two different processes for applying to PNPs: a paper-based process and an electronic process. Each province and territory has its own PNP streams and eligibility criteria. It is important to understand these criteria and the specific requirements of the province or territory you wish to live in before applying.

  1. Paper-Based Application Process – Each province or territory has its own streams and criteria that can change without notice. You should visit the website of the province or territory that interests you to find out the requirements to get a nomination certificate. You will submit an application to that province or territory indicating which of their PNP streams you want to be considered for. The province or territory will review your application. If you meet their criteria, they will issue you a nomination certificate. You must submit a copy of the nomination certificate when you apply for permanent residence.
  2. Invitations issued through Express Entry – Provinces and territories frequently search for candidates who are already in the Express Entry pool. Each province and territory can search the Express Entry pool using a combination of searchable fields, such as language levels, education, work experience, provincial or territory certificate of qualification, etc. If a province or territory is interested in a candidate, that person will receive a system-generated message in their online account that advises them that the province or territory would like to consider them for nomination.

Express Entry candidates who receive a nomination from a province or territory receive an additional 600 CRS points, and are normally issued an invitation to apply (ITA) at the next eligible round of invitations. RU Law can help you navigate the maze of PNP programs and requirements.

Start a Business

Start-up Visa

For individuals looking to start a business and become a Canadian permanent resident, the Start-up Visa program may be a viable option. This program allows you to move to Canada by starting your own business, anywhere in the country.

Once you’ve met the applicable criteria, you’ll want to ensure that your start-up business is:

  • Innovative: Your business is based in technology, procedures, or products that show originality and creativity.
  • Competitive: Show that your business can compete both locally and internationally
  • Economically beneficial: Your business must be able to contribute to the local economy by creating jobs for Canadians.

You may also choose to apply for a temporary work permit while waiting for your Start-up Visa application to be approved.

What you need to apply

In order to apply for the Start-up Visa program you’ll need to provide proof of the following:

  • Finances:
    • Provide a letter of support showing investment from a designated organization. These organizations include:
      • Venture Capital Firms ($200,000 investment)
      • Angel Investor Groups ($75,000 investment)
      • Business Incubators
    • Funds for you and your family to settle and support yourselves once you’ve immigrated to Canada.
  • Experience: Confirmation that you will be actively involved in the ongoing management and operation of the business while living in Canada.
  • Language: A minimum score of Level 5 on the Canadian Languages Benchmark in either English or French in each of these four areas: speaking, reading, listening, writing.

Business requirements

The Government of Canada will want to see that you have control over your start-up, which is determined by the percentage of shares you hold.

Once a designated organization, as outlined in finances above, has committed to your start-up business, you will need to confirm the following as it applies to control of shares.

  • Individually hold at least 10% of voting rights
    Each owner/applicant must hold at least 10% of the voting rights attached to all outstanding shares of the business. An application may include up to five people as owners.
  • As a group hold more than 50% of voting rights
    The applying owner group, along with their committed organization must hold a majority (more than 50%) of voting rights attached to all outstanding shares of the business.

In addition to proof of control, as the owner/applicant you must ensure that the essential operations of your business must take place, in part, within Canada, and your business must be incorporated in Canada.

Family Sponsorship

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and have family members in Canada or outside of Canada who are not Canadians, you may be able to sponsor them to become permanent residents. This can include a spouse or a common-law partner, children, parents or grandparents. For more information visit the RU Law Sponsorship page.

Permanent Resident Card

Your Permanent Resident Card will be mailed to you once you have immigrated to Canada as a permanent resident. Valid for a five-year period, your PR Card is official proof that you’ve been designated a permanent resident by Canadian Immigration department.

When the time comes RU Law can assist you with your application to renew your permanent resident card.

Additional Immigration Services

RU Law’s experience in immigration and citizenship matters extends well beyond what we’ve been able to include here. In addition to assisting with temporary and permanent immigration applications and Canadian citizenship applications, RU Law can also assist with the services listed below. Please schedule a consultation with us for assistance with any of the following legal issues:

  • Authorizations to return to Canada (ARC) – If you were the subject of a removal order from Canada, you will probably need an ARC if you want to return to Canada.
  • Applications for criminal rehabilitation – If you have criminal convictions outside of Canada, you may be eligible to apply for criminal rehabilitation and ask the Canadian government for permanent relief (forgiveness) for particular crime(s).
  • Temporary resident permits (TRP) – If you are inadmissible to Canada but have a reason to travel to Canada or remain in Canada, you may apply for a TRP. To be eligible, your need to enter or stay in Canada must outweigh the health or safety risks to Canadian society, as determined by an immigration or border services officer.
  • Responses to fairness letters – If you received a procedural fairness letter in relation to any immigration application, we can help you prepare a response supported by evidence and explain the consequences that could result from the allegation(s) made in the procedural fairness letter.
  • Document notarization – If you need to submit a certified true copy of a document with your immigration application, swear an affidavit in support of your application or notarize a document, we can help.

RU Law is here for you. Contact us now.