If you have family living in Canada or outside of Canada, you may be able to sponsor them to become Canadian permanent residents. This can include a spouse or a common-law partner, dependent children, parents or grandparents. Urosevic Law will work with you to ensure your sponsorship application is completed accurately and in accordance with the guidelines set out by the Canadian immigration department.

If you are sponsoring your spouse or common-law partner, you can choose between two types of sponsorship applications:

  • family class (outside Canada)
  • spouse or common-law partner in Canada (inside Canada)

Outside Canada sponsorship applications will be processed by the visa office that serves the foreign spouse’s country of origin. Your spouse may be able to travel to Canada while the application is being processed, but they need to have the proper travel authorization (visitor, work or study visa, eTA).

Inside Canada sponsorship applications can be submitted when the couple is living together in Canada. The foreign spouse needs to have valid status in Canada as a visitor, worker or student. The foreign spouse can also apply for a work permit while the sponsorship application is being processed.

Dependent children may be sponsored to live with their parent(s) as permanent residents in Canada. This sponsorship program is a subsection of the Family Class immigration program.

A dependent child is either the biological or adopted child of the parent, who is under 22 years of age and is neither married nor in a common-law relationship. Children who are 22 years and older but who are unable to support themselves because they suffer from a mental or physical condition are also considered dependents.


In order to be eligible to sponsor your family member you need to meet the following criteria.

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada or registered as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
  • Be able to provide proof that you are not in receipt of social assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • Be able to provide financially, as well as all basic needs of the person(s) you intend to sponsor for a period of time (undertaking)


When you sponsor a family member you are committing to provide financial support for them once they become permanent residents of Canada. This will include repaying any provincial social assistance your sponsored family members receive during that time. The sponsor must make every effort to support themselves and their family members.

Income requirement

The average spousal/partner or child sponsorship case does not have an income requirement. In those cases you’ll only need to prove that you have available funds to meet the “income requirement” if the spouse/partner or dependent child you are sponsoring has a child or children of their own.

Urosevic Law can assist you in understanding the income requirements that apply to your situation and preparing the sponsorship application.

As a Canadian citizen

You must provide plans to live in Canada once the person you are sponsoring becomes a permanent resident.

As a Permanent Resident

You must live in Canada in order to sponsor someone. You cannot reside outside Canada and apply to sponsor a spouse, partner or dependent child.

Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor their parents and grandparents (PGP) to become Canadian permanent residents. Canada has a cap on the number of applications it accepts each year under the PGP program. The program changes frequently, but usually starts with the sponsor submitting an expression of interest to the Canadian immigration department. Sponsors are then invited to submit a sponsorship application. A sponsor must earn the minimum income required to sponsor, which is based on the sponsor’s family size. The sponsor must meet the income requirements for each of the 3 taxation years right before the date of application.

If you do not meet the requirements to sponsor your parent or grandparent, they may still spend time with you in Canada. You can apply for a Super Visa, which is a long-term multi-entry visa that provides for re-entries for a period up to 10 years.

Urosevic Law is here for you. Contact us now.