I have been deported. Can I come back to Canada?

Frequently Asked Questions

When an individual has been the subject of a Deportation Order, and was ultimately deported from Canada, to return legally they will need to apply for an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC).

It is important to understand why you were initially issued the deportation order, as well as your current circumstances. If the circumstances that led to the deportation order being issued have not changed, it is less likely that you will be authorized to return to Canada. If you were deported due to criminal inadmissibility, you will need to apply for criminal rehabilitation before applying for an ARC.

If you are applying for a visa to visit, study, work or immigrate to Canada, it is not necessary to submit an ARC application separate from your visa application. If your visa is approved, you will be asked to submit the required fee for the ARC as it would have been dealt with in the context of your visa application.

If you are applying for a visa or permit to come to Canada you must include all the required documents with your application, including:

  • a Temporary Resident Visa application form, fully completed online and validated to create the barcode page.
  • two passport size photographs taken within the last six months.
  • a copy of your passport.
  • a written letter (in English or French) explaining, in detail, the reasons you feel you should be allowed to return to Canada. The letter must be written in block letters in black ink or typed.
  • the processing fee ($400 CAD).

If you are from a visa-exempt country, where you do not require a visa to enter Canada, and require an ARC to re-enter Canada, you may submit an ARC application on its own. You must submit these documents by mail to the visa office responsible for your region.

If your original removal order became a deportation order (from a departure order) because you did not leave Canada in the allotted time, you must explain the reasons and circumstances for not leaving Canada within 30 days of issue of the removal order.

Additionally, if the Government of Canada paid for your removal from Canada, it is mandatory that you reply any costs before an ARC may be issued. If this is the case, you will be notified of the amount to be repaid when your application is being processed.

We can assist you with submitting an ARC. Send us an email at [email protected] or give us a call at 416-847-3347.