I am currently working in Canada on a temporary work permit. What are my options for staying permanently?

Frequently Asked Questions

There are a few options available to you:

Express Entry

Express Entry is an electronic process involving the federal and provincial governments; and Canadian employers. It is used to manage applications for the following immigration programs:

  • The Federal Skilled Worker Program,
  • The Federal Skilled Trades Program, and
  • The Canadian Experience Class

Provinces and Territories can also recruit candidates from the Express Entry system through their Provincial Nominee Programs.

The Express Entry process involves two stages. First, individuals will submit an online profile outlining details of their skills, work experience, language ability, education and other details that will help in assessing eligibility. Those individuals who meet the criteria for one of the federal immigration programs are then entered into a pool with other eligible candidates. Second, candidates in the pool are ranked against one another using a point-based system. Points are awarded based on the information provided in the candidate’s online profile. Those candidates with the highest scores will be issued an “invitation to apply” (ITA). Upon receiving an ITA, a candidate will have 60 days to file their application for permanent residence in Canada.

It is important to keep your Express Entry profile up-to-date with language test results, changes in your level of education and any other material changes. If a candidate does not receive an ITA within 12 months of submitting an Express Entry profile, they may submit a new profile.

Express Entry ensures that the candidates who are most likely to succeed economically – not simply those first in line – are able to immigrate to Canada.


If you are married or in a common-law relationship with a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, there is an option of being sponsored to stay in Canada as a permanent resident under the Family Class sponsorship program.

We can help you decide what options are best for you. For a detailed assessment of your immigration options, contact our Canadian Immigration Lawyers for a consultation by emailing us or by calling 416-847-3347.