I am an international student studying in Canada on a study permit and would like to return home to visit my family or go on a vacation in another country. Do I need a visitor visa in order to be able to re-enter Canada when I return?

Frequently Asked Questions

Your visa requirements are largely dependent on your country of citizenship. Canada makes a distinction between non-visa exempt countries, those countries which require a visa to enter Canada, and visa-exempt countries which do not require a visa to fly or transit through Canada.
Non-Visa Exempt Countries

If you are an international student from a non-visa exempt country, in addition to having a valid study permit, you will require a visa to re-enter Canada. You must re-apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) if your visa has expired or if your visa was only valid for a single entry to Canada.
Visa-Exempt Countries

For those students from visa exempt countries, a visa is not required to return Canada to resume studies. A valid passport, a valid study permit and an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is sufficient.

Visa-exempt foreign nationals need an eTA to fly or transit through Canada. As of August 1, 2015, those individuals issued a study permit were also issued an eTA which is electronically linked to your passport. An eTA is valid for a period of five years from the date of issuance, or until the date your passport expires; whichever occurs first. If you wish to exit and re-enter Canada by air, you will need to ensure that your eTA is still valid.

In the event your study permit or eTA has expired, it is imperative you apply for and receive a new one before choosing to leave Canada. Applying for an eTA is a simple and inexpensive process which can be completed online. Most applicants will receive their authorization within a few minutes of submitting the necessary form.

We can assist you with submitting a TRV or eTA application. Contact our Immigration Lawyers in Canada for a consultation by emailing us or by calling 416-847-3347.