I am a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, can I bring my parent(s) and/or grandparent(s) to Canada to live with me permanently?

Frequently Asked Questions

In 2017 and 2018, the parent and grandparent category application process was a lottery system where sponsors “express interest” in sponsoring their parent or grandparent by completing an online form. The form asks for personal information, such as name, address, date of birth, and financial information pertaining to their eligibility to sponsor. In 2019, the process returns to the first come, first serve model. Starting at the beginning of the year, interested sponsors need to complete the online form before having the opportunity to submit an application.

You might be able to sponsor your parent and/or grandparent if you and they meet certain requirements.

To qualify as a sponsor, the Canadian citizen or permanent resident must:

  • be 18 years of age or older
  • not be in prison
  • not have outstanding sponsorship undertakings, immigration or court ordered debts or an undeclared bankruptcy

A Canadian citizen or permanent resident may not qualify as a sponsor if they have received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability. Sponsoring a member of the family class requires that sponsors promise to support their family member(s) financially for a specific period of time. As such, the sponsor must also meet certain income requirements in the case of parent and grandparent sponsorships. If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s immigration sponsorship requirements after IRCC has approved you as a sponsor.

Your parent and/or grandparent must also meet certain requirements. They will be required to provide the results of a medical examination, criminal and background checks.

We can help you navigate the maze of forms and requirements. For a detailed assessment of your immigration options, contact our Canada Immigration Lawyers for a consultation by emailing us or by calling 416-847-3347.