Do I need to hire a lawyer for my immigration matters?

Frequently Asked Questions

Simply put, no you do not need to hire a lawyer to be successful in your immigration matter. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) does not require you to consult a lawyer or have a lawyer represent you in any immigration and citizenship matter, or in a claim for refugee protection.

However, given that there are currently more than 70 federal and provincial immigration programs available for individuals who wish to immigrate to Canada, the skills and expertise of an immigration lawyer may be invaluable.

Whether you want to study, work, visit, or permanently relocate to Canada, there may be a variety of different avenues available to you. A lawyer will assess your circumstances, identify any issues, and provide the best solution or option for your specific needs. A lawyer who focuses exclusively or primarily in immigration law will be able to explain and provide advice on your immigration or citizenship options, and help you decide what immigration program is the best for you.

Retaining a licensed lawyer in Canada:

Licensed immigration lawyers in Canada have a thorough understanding of the policies, process and laws involving Canadian immigration. These lawyers are familiar with all details of the immigration process including where to file what documents and how to respond to requests from government agencies.

Immigration laws are constantly changing and, as a result, the criteria, process, and documentation required of any one of the immigration programs can be very hard to follow. When these changes do occur, it is imperative that your lawyer update you of any changes to the laws and procedures effecting your application as soon as this information is available. A lawyer who specializes in immigration law will be able to relay this information in an in-depth and efficient manner.

Licensed Canadian lawyers and/or registered Canadian immigration consultants can communicate with Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB), the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and the Courts on your behalf. A lawyer or consultant outside of Canada would not be able to do this.

Licensed lawyers across Canada are regulated by the Law Society in the province in which they practice. In Ontario, lawyers are governed and regulated by the Law Society of Ontario (LSO). The LSO ensures that both lawyers and paralegals are licensed, meet the required standard of learning, competence and professional conduct and more importantly are qualified to help you through the legal process. By choosing to retain a licensed lawyer who is in good standing with their Law Society, clients are afforded protection against unethical and incompetent practitioners.

We can help you navigate the maze of forms and requirements. For a detailed assessment of your immigration options, contact us for a consultation by emailing us at [email protected] or by calling 416-847-3347.